Hwy 1 is also referred to as the Old Windsor
Hwy. This was called the Windsor Road back during
Fenerty's time. The monument is located on the
property where Charles Fenerty used to live
(his father's farm). This is the third monument
erected. The first was a plaque which was placed
on the same birch tree that inspired his poem
It was placed on the site of the old Squire
Hamilton farm in 1926 by the Nova Scotia Historical
Society. The tree later fell down due to a storm.
The second monument was erected on 28th October
1955. It was made of brick which housed the
same plaque (see
articles and photos). This new monument
was placed on the original base of the 1955
monument (everything else is new).